Stormy stuff

The cataclysm was just a bit late.
Significant wetness
We got up the next day (Saturday) with the plan to head off South again but a quick inspection of the sky showed a huge storm cell approaching from the NW. The boat next to us had been waiting a few days for crew members and were up at sparrow's cheep to be off on their adventures. "Are you sure that is a good idea" says M pointing to the approaching Apocalypse. "Oh I have checked and it is heading away from us " was the reply. Boom Flash Bang Flood occurred within 10 minutes.
It settled down in the afternoon but we had a further 24 hours of intermittent thunder and lightning which kept us in port. However it did allow us to do a few jobs aboard and enjoy the Corfu life a little further. We found some really nice back street cafes and bars, as well as the most expensive coffee shop in the world at 5 Euros a cup. Style is not free.
I have to consider laying up the boat for winter in the next few weeks so am compiling a list of jobs and items required. Some of these can only be done with the boat in the water and some out.
Engine:
I'm going to do an engine service so need oil and an oil removal pump. I'll also do the valve clearances, change the impeller, change the fuel filters. All these need to be done before lift out.
There is a small oil leak somewhere towards the rear that I suspect  is the rear crankshaft seal. These commonly leak but it is so minor I am not planning to do anything about it at this stage. The engine has otherwise run perfectly and I don't need to do any more to it at the moment.
 I need antifreeze to run through the raw water side of the cooling system. This is after lift out.
 Sails and Lines:
 I am planning to get a third reef put in the main sail and some repairs to the bimini performed. I also need to waterproof the Bimini and Sprayhood, which at the moment are 80% porous, but just retain enough water to serve as a water storage and distribution system by dripping onto you for hours after the rain has stopped. So I need to contact the sailmaker.
I plan to change the Genoa halyard and a Spinnaker halyard around. The Genoa halyard is a heavier duty rope than the Spinnaker halyard that is currently serving this function, and although it seems OK it would probably be best properly configured. This will be an interesting performance of sewing one line to another and swapping them around.
The outhaul needs to be changed. Another high risk episodethat involves replacing the line inside the boom.
Boat:
Margaret is keen to have a go at some internal varnishing, so we need some equipment for that.  I have managed (I think it was me) to damage some gelcoat on the sugar scoop at the back of the boat with the gangplank. I fancy a go at this myself. Fortunately Beneteau had the foresight to have a sticker inside a locker lid with reference numbers for the gelcoat colours on the various bits of the boat so I can order the right stuff.
I have managed to source the Beneteau instructions for re-fixing the lower rudder bushing which has come adrift. I reckon I could do this myself but might need some lifting gear to and supports to lower and raise the rudder.
Finally I have to take the Genoa reefing kit apart to try to replace the bushing that fell out.
The Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Oh and the outboard needs serviced. It runs fine but does not maintain tickover properly and may need the carb cleaned out.
We have several days ashore with the boat before we fly home so I hope we can get most of this done.
However this is still a few weeks away - and we are still sailing.
Looking forwards during the chase
Today we left Corfu - we needed to as we had enough of each other - us and Corfu that is. The weather looked a bit mixed but it was bright and still when we left. We motored SE towards Paxos for 30 minutes when the band ashore struck up again with continuous booming thunder and an extensive pyrotechnic lightning show. A huge storm cloud had descended over Corfu town and then proceeded to chase us all the way down the gulf, only giving up when we got to the S end of Corfu, but we managed to avoid the rain.
Biggest cloud in the world?
We then had a nice NW afternoon breeze for the passage across the Paxoi straights to the N end of Paxos.
We anchored in the bay of the village of Lakka, a spot we had not been to before. There are around 30 boats at anchor and another 20 or so on the town quay, so busy,  but it is a very pretty spot and seems well sheltered. There might be a bit of a breeze overnight tonight so we will see.












d reef put in the main sail and the

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wet toilet paper

Beer, Crisps and Bananas

Getting Excited